Upgrading Biogas to RNG
What is AdvanSorb®-RNG?
Biogas, and even traditional natural gas, frequently has contaminants that need to be removed to purify it to its maximum energy and economic potential. ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG processing technologies make it possible to take in virtually any feed gas specification, virtually deliver any product gas specification efficiently, effectively, and economically.
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG upgrading process consists of 2 distinct processes/systems.
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG CO2+ process, removes pre-treatables (H2S, VOCs, Siloxanes), carbon dioxide and residual water
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG NRU+ process, removes nitrogen and oxygen
Upgrading biogas to RNG requires the removal of a number of contaminants that are efficiently removed via two distinct PSA cycles/systems. The first (CO2+) removes the contaminants that are heavier than methane. The second (NRU+) removes the contaminants that are lighter than methane. These two systems can be purchased together or separately. However, efficiencies exist when used together.
*NRU = Nitrogen Rejection Unit
Using ARI’s AdvanSorb® processing technology for Renewable Natural Gas or Natural Gas purification means that your system is:
- Robust: All contaminants can be removed to meet any gas specification
- High Recovery: More of your finite resource can be monetized
- Efficient: Relatively low operating cost means more profit and faster payback
- Customizable: Utilize our modular design, or customize to meet your specific needs
Example case of LFG Composition
|Constituent||Typical % In Feed To System||Typical Pipeline Specification|
|Carbon Dioxide||39.35%||< 2%|
|Hydrogen Sulfide||0.0040%||< 0.0004%|
|VOCs + Siloxanes||0.1460%||Varies|
What ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG Process Removes Vs. Typical Technology Solution
|Contaminant||Typical Technology||ARI AdvanSorb®--RNG Process|
|VOCs + Siloxanes||Pretreatment||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Hydrogen Sulfide||Pretreatment||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Carbon Dioxide||CO2 Removal||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Water||CO2 Removal||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Nitrogen||Nitrogen Removal||ARI AdvanSorb®-NRU+ System|
|Oxygen||Varies||ARI AdvanSorb®-NRU+ System|
ARI AdvanSorb®-RNG 2-Stage Process Features, Benefits, & Capabilities
ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG 2-Stage process removes biogas pre-treatables (VOCs, siloxanes, H2S), CO2, residual water, nitrogen and oxygen over the course of two stages. It utilizes Vacuum Pressure Swing Adsorption (VPSA) process technology developed and patented by ARI. There are minimal technical limitations with inlet (e.g. gas compositions, flow rates, etc.) and product parameters. Selecting ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG Two-Stage system provides you with a single-source gas upgrading technology provider who uses a common upgrading (VPSA) process of their own design and are committed to continuous improvement.
At the Landfill:
Can remove VOCs, siloxanes, hydrogen sulfide, water and carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen.
- Allows for greater suction on the landfill, which means more methane, lower fugitive emissions, less odors, and vastly reduced well-tuning
Patented, reliable, and highly efficient multi-stage Vacuum Pressure Swing Adsorption (VPSA) process. Upgrades feed gas to RNG.
- Removes contaminants to produce high-yield, high-purity, RNG
- Moderate operating pressure means significant savings in CAPEX & OPEX compared to other technologies
Control system utilizes ARI’s proprietary adaptive control logic.
- Compensates for fluctuations in feed flow, composition and ambient conditions, keeping product on-spec
- Allows for data logging, trend analysis, and remote access to maintain peak performance
- User-friendly training provided for operators & engineers
The ability to meet pipeline-grade natural gas, compressed natural gas (CNG), or liquid natural gas (LNG) specifications.
- Flexible technology can be designed to best suit site infrastructure
- AdvanSorb®-RNG 2-Stage process allows for 96.5%+ methane recovery and purity
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG 2-Stage process can allow you to maximize system revenue, by optimizing product recovery and purity, while also keeping a low total cost of ownership.