Upgrading Biogas to RNG
What is AdvanSorb®-RNG?
Biogas, and even traditional natural gas, frequently has contaminants that need to be removed to purify it to its maximum energy and economic potential. ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG processing technologies make it possible to take in virtually any feed gas specification, virtually deliver any product gas specification efficiently, effectively, and economically.
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG upgrading process consists of 2 distinct processes/systems.
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG CO2+ process, removes pre-treatables (H2S, VOCs, Siloxanes), carbon dioxide and residual water
- ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG NRU+ process, removes nitrogen and oxygen
Upgrading biogas to RNG requires the removal of a number of contaminants that are efficiently removed via two distinct PSA cycles/systems. The first (CO2+) removes the contaminants that are heavier than methane. The second (NRU+) removes the contaminants that are lighter than methane. These two systems can be purchased together or separately. However, efficiencies exist when used together.
*NRU = Nitrogen Rejection Unit
Using ARI’s AdvanSorb® processing technology for Renewable Natural Gas or Natural Gas purification means that your system is:
- Robust: All contaminants can be removed to meet any gas specification
- High Recovery: More of your finite resource can be monetized
- Efficient: Relatively low operating cost means more profit and faster payback
- Customizable: Utilize our modular design, or customize to meet your specific needs
Example case of LFG Composition
|Constituent||Typical % In Feed To System||Typical Pipeline Specification|
|Carbon Dioxide||39.35%||< 2%|
|Hydrogen Sulfide||0.0040%||< 0.0004%|
|VOCs + Siloxanes||0.1460%||Varies|
What ARI’s AdvanSorb®-RNG Process Removes Vs. Typical Technology Solution
|Contaminant||Typical Technology||ARI AdvanSorb®--RNG Process|
|VOCs + Siloxanes||Pretreatment||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Hydrogen Sulfide||Pretreatment||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Carbon Dioxide||CO2 Removal||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Water||CO2 Removal||ARI AdvanSorb®-CO2+ System|
|Nitrogen||Nitrogen Removal||ARI AdvanSorb®-NRU+ System|
|Oxygen||Varies||ARI AdvanSorb®-NRU+ System|