What We Do
Natural Gas & Renewable Natural Gas
Natural gas frequently has contaminants that need to be removed in order to purify it to its maximum energy and economic potential. ARI’s AdvanSorb® --Biogas processing technologies make it possible to take in virtually any feed gas specification, deliver virtually any product gas specification, and do so efficiently, effectively, and economically.
Using ARI's AdvanSorb® processing technology for Renewable Natural Gas or Natural Gas purification means that your system is:
- Robust: All contaminants can be removed to meet any gas specification
- High Recovery: More of your finite resource can be monetized
- Efficient: Relatively low operating cost means more profit and faster payback
- Customizable: Utilize our modular design, or customize to meet your specific needs
Renewable Natural Gas
According to the U.S. EPA, Methane—the primary component in natural gas—is the second most prevalent greenhouse gas emitted in the United States from human activities. In 2013, methane accounted for about 10% of all U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from human activities. Methane's lifetime in the atmosphere is much shorter than carbon dioxide, but methane is more efficient at trapping radiation than carbon dioxide. Pound for pound, the comparative impact of methane on climate change is more than 25 times greater than carbon dioxide over a 100-year period. Capturing, purifying and monetizing methane emitted via human activities, such as the raising of livestock and landfills, represents not only a better solution for the environment, but also an outstanding business opportunity. ARI’s AdvanSorb® gas processing technologies can successfully address methane losses from a variety of sources, including biogas from landfills, waste water treatment, agricultural waste, anaerobic digestion, and coalbed methane. Together, these sources represent approximately 40% of the methane that is released into the atmosphere, in the U.S., due to human activity.
(Source: U.S. EPA LMOP)
System Features, Benefits, & Capabilities
At the Landfill:Can remove VOCs, siloxanes, hydrogen sulfide, water and carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen.
- Allows for greater suction on the landfill, which means lower fugitive emissions and less odors, and practically no need for well-tuning
Process:Patented, reliable, and highly efficient multi-stage Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) process. Upgrades Biogas to purified methane.
- Removes contaminants to produce high-yield, high-purity, natural gas or renewable natural gas (RNG)
- Low operating pressure means less feed compression, which translates to lower CAPEX & OPEX
- High recovery at high purity plus low CAPEX & OPEX equals enhanced profitability
- Compensates for fluctuations in feed flow and composition, keeping product on-spec
- Allows for data logging, trend analysis, and remote access to maintain peak performance
- Easy to train operators & engineers
On the market:Able to meet pipeline-grade natural gas, compressed natural gas (CNG), or liquid natural gas (LNG) specifications.
- Flexible technology can be adapted to best suit site infrastructure
- 2-stage AdvanSorb®-Biogas process technology methane recovery as high as 98%
- 2-stage AdvanSorb®-Biogas process technology methane purity as high as 99.9%
- ARI's AdvanSorb®-Biogas process technology can allow you to maximize system revenue, by optimizing product recovery and purity
- ARI's AdvanSorb®-Biogas process technology can allow you to maximize system profit, by keeping total cost of ownership low while maximizing revenue potential
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Capture
As the world seeks better industrial & energy solutions that are cleaner, more innovative, and more profitable, new markets for technology have emerged. CO2 capture is one of these technologies. The ability to capture CO2 from new and existing sources of flue gas, such that the CO2 is not emitted, and instead sequestered, or used in existing or new applications, is a potentially game-changing way to reduce global CO2 emissions.
ARI's patented moving bed temperature swing adsorption (MBTSA) technology represents a breakthrough in its simplicity and economics. ARI's solution allows for a significant reduction in parasitic power usage (relative to PSA alternatives) by using the waste heat contained by the flue gas to drive the separation.
System Features, Benefits, & Capabilities
- Elegantly simple process and design provides for effective, efficient, and easy operation
- End-of-pipe solution means minimal disruption to existing plants when retrofitting
- Modular design allows for inexpensive construction, easy maintenance, flexible operation, and expandable capacity
- Captures and removes Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), mercury, and other dilute, toxic, contaminants
- Simplified system design eliminates the need for extra equipment, greatly reduces sludge, and helps ensure compliance with state and federal regulations
- This eliminates the need for extra equipment, greatly reduces sludge, and helps ensure compliance
- The overall capture cost of about $10 to $15/ton of CO2 makes for an economical investment relative to other CO2 capture technologies
- Purification of the captured CO2 and compression (to ~2,000 psi) for pipeline transport and sequestration adds another $10 to $20 cost per ton of CO2
Complex Liquid & Gas Separations
ARI has broad and deep experience with a variety of liquid and gas separations. These projects typically involve the recovery of valuable commodity gases, constituent recovery, drying, contaminant removal, etc. As with all of our AdvanSorb®- Pressure Swing Adsorption separation processes, we seek to optimize overall recovery, product purity, capital expense, and operational expense, per the customer's requirements.
Whether the primary objective is to design for high-recovery at 99.999% purity, or to design a system that best balances all factors for the most attractive business case, ARI can work with you to design the system that best fits your needs. ARI possesses experience across a wide range of upgrading and purification projects. These include: oxygen, nitrogen, and argon separation from air; helium separation from natural gas; hydrogen purification; sulfur dioxide capture and enrichment; VOC and other contaminant removal from air; and water purification.
Research & Development
ARI maintains unparalleled subject matter expertise, modeling competencies, and specialized lab facilities with world-class capabilities. In addition to our own research and development efforts, we offer the folowing services on a "for-hire" basis: adsorbent evaluation, custom research, problem solving & process creation, and providing engineering support.